A household juicer is a well-known, but not too popular, kitchen appliance. For someone who is not used to starting the morning with freshly squeezed juice, choosing a home juicer may seem a difficult task.
What parameters should be taken into consideration? How do some juicers differ from others?
What is the best juicer for home use?
Let’s figure these out in my review of the best juicers of 2020.
To choose the best juicer for the home you want to clearly understand what exactly you want from it.
After all, an ideal device for all people does not exist, and each model has its own advantages and weaknesses. We will start with a step-by-step guide for choosing a home juicer.
Step #1. Determine The Juicer Type
Centrifugal Juicer Machine (Universal)
This is the most common type of juicer machine. Initially, the fruits/vegetables are crushed/grated in a separator, where, under the influence of centrifugal force, the juice is separated from the pulp.
- This type of juicer squeezes juice from almost all fruits, vegetables and berries (except for fruits with small seeds). Especially good for soft fruits and vegetables (like tomatoes or peaches).
- It could be a real time-saver as you can insert small whole fruits (e.g. apples, pears, etc.) into a cylindrical hatch, without having to cut them into pieces.
- The juice is squeezed very quickly, up to 2-4 times faster compared to a screw juicer.
- Juice from a centrifugal juicer turns out to be more liquid and homogeneous, without pulp. However, on the other hand, this can be considered a downside, because juice with pulp is healthier.
- The machine is easy to clean even without the use of a special brush.
- In this category, you will find the largest selection of devices for any budget.
- The cost of centrifugal juicers is generally lower than for screw juicer machines.
- Due to the heating of the fruits at the stage of rubbing and the interaction of the pulp with air in the separator, the juice oxidizes and loses some of its beneficial properties. In addition, such juice cannot be stored for a long time (the maximum is 24 hours), you need to drink it right away.
- Squeezes the juice less thoroughly than a screw juicer and gives 10-40% less juice (depending on the type of fruit/vegetables).
- Gives more foam in comparison with the screw model.
- It is quite a noisy machine. The noise is about the same as from a blender, combine, or coffee grinder.
- If you want to make juices from green leaves, only expensive models of centrifugal juicers can do that, and even these are not able to complete this task in the best way.
- Centrifugal models are usually quite tall and require a lot of space.
Overall, if your priority is the speed of making juice, let’s say you like to drink it for breakfast, you have a big family or you are looking for a juicer for the whole team, then a centrifugal juicer is the best choice. Also, it can be recommended to lovers of juices from juicy and soft fruits and vegetables, for example, tomatoes.
Cold Pressed Juicer Machine (Screw Juicer)
Screw juicers are also called masticating juicers. They are also universal, but they work on a different principle: they squeeze the juice from the fruit by means of a press under high pressure, rather than abrasion.
The main part of the device is a conical spiral auger operating at low speeds. Outwardly and according to the principle of operation, the screw juicer resembles a meat grinder.
In these devices, you can make not only juice but also smoothies, prepare the baby food. Some models even have separate nozzles for chopping, making the dough (noodles) and pureeing.
- It preserves the maximum beneficial properties of fruits since they do not oxidize during preparation.
- For the same reason, the screw juicer allows you to make blanks and keep the juice in the refrigerator for up to 72 hours without losing its nutritional value. The ability to store juice in a sense compensates for the slow operation of the device because you can prepare drinks in advance.
- The spin is more thorough, and therefore it gives more juice.
- Quiet operation.
- The juice is obtained with less foam (1.5-2 times compared to juice from a centrifugal machine).
- Squeezes juice from almost everything, even from cabbage, seeds, nuts, and grass.
- Usually, cold-pressed juicer machines have a higher cost than their centrifugal mates.
- There is not a wide range of appliances in this category.
- The throat of the screw juicers is smaller, so most fruits and vegetables need to be cut beforehand, which complicates and slows down the preparation process.
- The juice is thicker due to the presence of pulp. On the other hand, it can be said that the use of pulp compensates for the heterogeneity of the drink.
- Although the auger machine squeezes juice from soft vegetables and fruits, it turns out more like mashed potatoes or baby food. However, if you have small children, then this is a big advantage.
Vertical Screw Juicers
The screw mechanism of such juicers is located vertically. The screw captures and cuts the fruit itself, and therefore, there is almost no need to use the pusher.
Such models take up relatively little space on the table, but they can turn out to be quite high. Due to this, it is worth checking the distance between the working surface and kitchen cabinets.
Vertical screw juicer machines work quite quickly, the speed of the fastest ones may be similar to the average centrifugal juicer.
Horizontal Screw Juicers
These juicers have a horizontal auger, like a meat grinder. The juicer, respectively, will not be too high, instead, they are bigger horizontally. They also require the user to carefully approach the cutting of raw materials (fruits/vegetables).
The neck diameter of this type of device is usually even smaller than that of vertical augers. As in the case of the meat grinder, here you have to actively use the pusher. The cycle of work for horizontal auger models, as a rule, is longer than for vertical ones.
Therefore, the cold-pressed juicer machine is an excellent choice for vegetarians, gourmets, raw foodists, families with small children, patients who need diet/liquid food and just people who actively monitor their health.
In addition, screw machines are recommended for those who like juices from solid vegetables and fruits (apples, carrots, beets, etc.).
Citrus Press Juicer
The machine is specifically designed for squeezing juice from citrus fruits.
The design of electric citrus juicers is very simple and consists of: an engine, a reservoir for collecting juice and a cone-shaped nozzle, which, rotating at low speeds, squeezes the juice from the fruits.
- It has a compact design.
- It does not require peeling of the fruit, it is enough just to wash them and cut them into halves (across the slices). It is also possible to squeeze juice from citruses in other types of juicers, but for this, you will have to peel them first.
- It can squeeze pomegranate juice. In a screw juicer, you can also get juice from pomegranates, but first, you need to extract its grains, which is not very convenient.
- It has a relatively low cost.
- It is easy and fast in operation.
- Easy to clean.
- It is not noisy, so you can prepare juices even in the early morning when all members of your family are still sleeping.
- Many models of citrus machines allow you to adjust the amount of pulp in the finished juice.
- Not suitable for squeezing any fruit except citruses and pomegranates.
If besides citrus/pomegranate juice you don’t need anything else, then a citrus juice squeezer is your choice. This type of juicer is also very handy for parties fans.
If you like to have parties at your own home, with this device, your guests will be able to squeeze juice for their cocktails on their own, without having to peel oranges.
At the same time, the quiet operation of the machine will not interrupt conversations and muffle music.
Step #2. Size and Volume of Containers
Now that we have decided on the type of juicer, let’s think about the volume of containers you need for collecting juice and pulp.
Citrus and centrifugal machines most often have built-in containers for collecting pulp, and screw machines are separate (sold in the kit).
If you have a large family, to prepare juice at a time, you will want a container with a volume of 1.5-2 liters, the volume of the container for collecting pulp is 2.6-3 liters.
For a couple of people, (1-2 glasses) will be sufficient, which means a volume capacity for collecting juice of 300-600 ml, and a volume of capacity for collecting pulp is 1.5-1.6 liters.
Also, when choosing the appropriate model, pay attention to the size of the loading neck. The wider it is, the larger fruits and vegetables you can load into it without cutting.
The average size of the loading neck is 75 mm. In such a hatch, an apple will fit up to 73 mm in diameter, larger fruits will have to be cut. The widest neck of the juicer can have a diameter of 84–85 mm.
Step #3. Power and Speed Control
Obviously, the higher the power of the machine, the faster and better it gives juice.
For centrifugal machines, the optimum power is 250-300 W and the speed of the separator is 10,000-12,000 rpm.
There is no much sense in purchasing a device with higher rates (up to 23,000 rpm) since it practically does not affect the performance and quality of the juice.
By the way, some juicers have up to 9-speed modes, although in fact, an average lover of freshly squeezed juices will need only 2-3 modes: the low-speed mode is suitable for soft fruits, and the high-speed mode is suitable for hard fruits.
Keep in mind that some centrifugal devices can have only 1 mode, but they are not suitable for making juices from soft fruits/vegetables.
Screw juicers can have a power of 200-400 watts.
Citrus devices have a very small power of 20-40 watts. In fact, when choosing citrus press machines, power is not so important, and a machine with a capacity of only 25 watts will do an excellent job.
Step #4. Case and Parts Materials
The case of any juicer can be made of plastic and/or aluminum or stainless steel. Metal cases are much more beautiful and reliable than plastic ones, but more expensive and heavier.
Plastic also significantly reduces the cost of the device, makes it lightweight and easier to care for it. With proper and careful handling, a plastic case can also last for many years.
Keep in mind that polished stainless steel and glossy black plastic leave fingerprints.
The centrifuge material in the centrifugal juicer is always made of stainless steel.
But citrus and screw juicers may have plastic filter parts, because of the low rotation speeds, the loads on them are inconsiderable.
Step #5. Additional Parameters
It is advisable that your future juicer has the following additional options:
- Drop-stop function (for machines with direct juice supply).
- A glass or jug for the finished juice and a frother cover. It is good if the juice container is measured.
- Suction cups or at least simple rubberized legs for the stability of the device (especially relevant for centrifugal juicers).
- Possibility of washing removable parts in the dishwasher.
- The ability to put the cord in a special compartment at the base of the device. Also, make sure that the cord you have is long enough or not too short.
- Brush for cleaning sieve cells.
Best Masticating Juicer Machines of 2019 Reviewed
1. SKG Q8 Masticating Juicer
SKG cold press juicer is an excellent choice for busy people.
Even though this device is not centrifugal, you will not have to spend time cutting fruits or vegetables.
Moreover, you can prepare more juice at a time and store it in your refrigerator without having to afraid that your juice will oxidate and loose its nutritional properties.
Because this machine is equipped with two openings with wide chute, it allows entering all sizes of fruits/vegetables, even large and longer ones.
This SKG machine is multifunctional. It will work not only for apples and oranges but also for more sturdy products such as carrots, and beets. It supports even leafy greens like wheatgrass, kale, and celery.
With the help of SKG Juicer, you can prepare not only juices but also your favorite smoothies because it is equipped with an upgraded fine strainer.
It is very easy to assemble/disassemble this machine. Although, if you experience any difficulties with this task, there is Free Amazon tech support included, in case you decide to buy this SKG cold press juicer.
It is also very easy in operation and a cleaning brush is included with the appliance.
If you question whether this machine is of good quality, you can rest assured because SKG employs a very strict quality control system. Also, the machine itself is made of high-quality BPA Free food grade anti-oxidation materials.
You can purchase with confidence this SKG juicer because it comes with 30 days money-back guarantee and a 2 years repairs warranty.
2. Hurom HP Slow Juicer
If you are looking for a juicer that will fit any type of space, even the smaller one, then this Hurom HO Slow Juicer is the right choice.
Due to its compact design, you don’t have to worry about whether it will fit your kitchen or not.
This is a second-generation vertical juicer which means that it does not have a hole in the bottom of the juicing screen that can get clogged with pulp and cause a pulp backup.
This vertical cold-pressed machine juices most vegetables, leafy greens, and fruits.
What I like about this juicer is that it is able to produce a high yield from leafy green vegetables (like wheatgrass, celery, etc.)
Since the organic product can be expensive, getting the most out of them will help you save more money.
It is also very quiet in operation, so while juicing, you can still hear the TV, the music playing or the doorbell ringing.
This also helps a lot when you don’t want to disturb your neighbors or your family members, preparing your favorite juice at whatever time you like.
Hurom HP Slow Juicer comes with a 10-year warranty on motors and 2 years warranty on parts. All the parts of this juicer are made from 100% BPA free materials.
Heavy machine. Due to this, if you want to move it around, I wouldn’t recommend lifting it by the basket. Always try to carry it from the bottom.
3. Omega J8006HDS
This machine goes even beyond the SKG Q8 in terms of multipurpose functionality.
With the help of this Omega J8006HDS, you can do not only fresh juices and smoothies but also nut butter and milk, baby food, frozen desserts, ice cream, pasta, grind coffee beans and mince of herbs and garlic.
Although it is quite easy to assemble/disassemble, there is Free Amazon tech support included when you purchase this juicer.
It is also easy to clean up the machine as most parts of it are allowed to be washed in a dishwashing machine (besides the motor part, obviously).
The manufacturer offers 15 years warranty on parts and therefore, you can be sure that the machine will serve you a long period of time.
This Omega J8006HDS is equipped with four feet for more stability during operation. If you are planning to make a great amount of juice, you can easily do this with the help of this juicer as it features an automatic pulp-ejection function for continuous juicing.
If you have a large family, you are able to satisfy everyone’s member taste with this juicer machine, by preparing delicious and nutritious snacks that everyone will love.
Being equipped with a powerful, yet quiet motor, the everyday preparation of healthy foods and drinks turns out to be a continuous pleasure!
4. Picberm Juicer Machine – Best Pick For The Money
If you are looking for the best juicer machine at a budget price, this Picberm juicer is the right choice. It includes all the necessary features to prepare a healthy drink for you and your family.
This cold-press juicer is able to support both soft (watermelon, kiwi, strawberries, grapes) and hard (apples, pears, ginger, pineapple) fruits and vegetables, as well as green leafy veggies, like wheatgrass, celery, lettuce, and cabbage.
If you decide to buy this Picberm juicer machine, you will enjoy the process of making less foamy, with maximum yield juice.
You will also love how the motor quietly works and how easy is to clean the machine.
The locking button on the juicer extractor helps you assemble and disassemble the detachable parts with one single touch.
All you have to do is to either simply clean those parts with the enclosed brush or clean them in a dishwashing machine which overall cleaning make take you approx. 3-4minutes!
The assembly part is also very easy, but if you feel like you need an additional support on that, you can benefit from Free Amazon technical support.
Last, but not least, this machine is made from BPA-free food-grade materials.
Only 2 years warranty on the machine. You may find other products that are equipped with longer time warranty. The good part is that the Picberm manufacturer provides lifelong technical support and customer service that might be useful in the long-run.
Best Centrifugal Juicer Machines of 2019 Reviewed
There are a few things that have determined me to include this juicer machine in my review.
First of all, Breville is an Australian brand for small appliances for home use and its operation dates since 1936. Therefore, this is a trustable brand that has proven its liability for high-quality and safe products.
It is all made of stainless steel featuring a Titanium reinforced disc and an Italian-made micro-mesh filter.
Next, this is a juicer designed for home use but features a professional-grade powerful motor that is able to juice both hard and soft ingredients.
Due to the wide chute feed, you can save time on preparing the fruits/vegetables, and make your juice without having to cut the ingredients.
There is also 2-speed electronic control: the low one is designed for soft fruits and leafy vegetables, and the high speed is used for harder ingredients and denser fruits.
All the parts of this juicer machine are dishwashable so you can save time for the things you love to do the most.
Breville 800JEXL is an excellent choice if you have a large family because it is able to handle large amounts of fruits/vegetables.
Noisy machine. May seem to be a little bit noisier than a blender.
Choose Whatever Feels Better For You
If you would ask me what is my choice: centrifugal, cold-pressed or citrus press juicers, I would answer that my pick is the one that let me do different things with one single machine.
Obviously, it is the cold-press juicer and my personal vote goes to Hurom HP slow juicer. I like its compact design and all the features that I have described above.
I hope you have enjoyed reading this article and now, you know better what are the best juicers of 2019 and can easily pick the one for yourself.
Keep in mind that the best juicer is the one that you will actually use!
If you have any questions or thoughts about the above juicers, or you have something to add or share your story, please leave them in the comments section below and I will get back to you asap.
If you liked this article and think it might be useful for someone else too, please share it with your friends and family through social media channels.
All the best,