In the last decades, sports watches have become an accessory loved by those practicing sports, regardless of their level (pros or beginners) and regardless of the type of sports they are practicing, like swimming, cycling or running.
Besides the cool look the sports watches have, they are are also endowed with many different and useful functions, that help sportsmen to monitor their activity.
Nowadays, more new models of sports watches appear on the market, with many different features. That is why, if you have decided that you need one, it is good to know what to take into consideration when choosing the best sports watches for men that practice bodybuilding.
Tips on Choosing The Best Sports Watches For Men
Lately, sports watches have become true gadgets, with multiple options and features. Here are the main options I think we need to find in any useful product for practicing bodybuilding.
The Watch Options
Pulse Sensor is very useful for sportsmen that want a good monitorization of their pulse as a result of high-intensity effort.
Accelerometer Sensor is a simple device that is used to measure the pace of the steps or other important rhythmic movements. It is very useful especially for runners because they are able to keep statistics about their evolution or can establish the workout routine with the help of obtained information.
This is one of the most used functions, the watch having a small antenna and a GPS receiver to calculate the position, but also the traveled distance.
The GSM mode could be useful for orientation and navigation. With its help, you can see alternative routes, the best camping places or how much distance do you have until you get to the finish. Also, most performant watches are endowed with installed maps or voice guidance services, that are useful for those cases when you get lost in the space.
The most performing models are able to connect with other devices through Bluetooth – that is the most common connection, or through Wi-Fi. All you have to do is to be careful that the watch operating system is compatible with that of your already-owned devices. With the help of this option, you can undertake or give calls, read messages or even pay your shopping.
For indoor sports, like running on the treadmill, static bike or weight lifting sport, you are going to need a watch that has options for body monitoring. This includes pulse and heart rate, body temperature and, eventually, the music player. If the watch is endowed with programs for statistics, you can even keep your personal workout agenda.
The Watch Material
After you have determined what options you would like the watch to have, pay attention to what material the watch is made of. The watch cases are generally made from plastic, which is lightweight and resistant, but still can crack at impact. You will also find aluminum cases, which make them also lightweight, but more resistant, than plastic.
Watch cases made from stainless steel are very resistant but are heavier. Brass watch cases are the most resistant ones but they have a higher price.
Watch bracelets are also made from different materials, like:
a) plastic which is lightweight, but can be easily broken during high-intensity moves;
b) leather bracelet is also lightweight but more malleable and elegant, at a higher price;
c) stainless steel bracelets are resistant but heavier in weight.
The Watch Battery
This is another important aspect that you have to take into consideration when choosing a good sports watch. The watch battery could be simple that has to be replaced after it discharged. Typically, the longevity of this kind of battery is up to 2 years.
The most performing watch models have rechargeable batteries of Li-Ion type that could be recharged through USB or through an adapter. If you decide upon a watch with a rechargeable battery, you will have to take care to have the device to recharge all the time with you. This is because the more options a watch offers you, the more you consume the battery and you risk running out of battery in just a few hours.
The Watch Brand
Of course, you have to take into consideration the brand of a sports watch and you can find good quality sports watches at an affordable price.
The most known and famous brands that produce sports watches are Apple, Garmin, Suunto, Samsung, Sekonda, etc.
It is advisable to choose a well-known brand because, in this way, you will have the guarantee of quality and the correct price.
Best Sports Watches For Men
Now that you have an idea of what kind of sports watch do you want to have, most probably, you wonder yourself, where you can find a good sports watch at a good price? Check out my review on the best sports watches for men, based on popularity, brand and positive feedback of customers that have already used these watches.
1. Garmin Forerunner 35
Amazon Customer’s Rating: 4.1 out of 5
Garmin Forerunner 35 is the best sports watch for bodybuilders that never miss their cardio training. This sports watch is slim and lightweight, which makes it perfect for daily training activities.
It features a built-in wrist-based heart rate as well as GPS that tracks your distance, pace, intervals and more. Since all these stats are captured by the watch, your watch is all you need — you need no phone and no chest strap.
Garmin Forerunner 35 has the run/walk mode that lets you go on runs with making walking breaks. You don’t have to worry anymore if you are walking too much instead of running. This sports watch will tell you when it is time to slow down or speed up.
You will also like that Garmin Forerunner 35 has connected features. When paired with a compatible smartphone, Forerunner 35 pulls text, social media, and other notifications, and it alerts you on your wrist.
Garmin Forerunner 35 is able to track your all-day activity, counting steps, calories and intensity minutes.
If you like to be part of the community while you are training, it is possible with Garmin Forerunner 35 sports watch. It will automatically upload your data to Garmin Connect, which is Garmin’s free online fitness community where you can join challenges, receive insights and share your progress as you meet your goals.
Garmin Forerunner 35 is easy to adjust to any size of wrists as this sports watch has lots of holes in the band for adjusting the size. It is available in four different colors so that anyone can find something that corresponds to the taste.
Moreover, this watch is currently on sale on Amazon, so there is even an additional benefit of buying this Garmin Forerunner, i.e., saving more money!
If all I have mentioned about Garmin Forerunner 35 sports watch is not enough for you, click the link below to see what other customers are saying about it:
2. Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular)
If you are on the market for a sports watch that you can use without your smartphone, Apple Watch Series 4 is exactly what you are looking for. The reason why I am saying this is that this sports watch includes GPS and Cellular options in one single device. You don’t have to worry anymore that you have forgotten your smartphone at home. With Apple Watch Series 4, you will not miss any call, text message or social media notification.
Apple Watch Series 4 is resistant to the water of up to 50 meters depth, according to the ISO standard 22810:2010. This means that this sports watch can be used for water activities of small depth, like swimming in the pool or in the sea. At the same time, please note that this sports watch cannot be used for nautic ski, diving or other water activities that involve high-speed water.
Apple Watch Series 4 is available in aluminum or stainless steel case so that you have plenty of room to choose from.
If what I have said about Apple Watch Series 4 is still not enough for you, you will also like the following features of this amazing sports watch:
- Over 30% larger display and 50% louder speaker
- Electrical and optical heart sensors
- Digital Crown with haptic feedback
- S4 SiP with a faster 64-bit dual-core processor
- Improved accelerometer and gyroscope for fall detection
- watch OS 5
If you want to take a closer look at Apple Watch Series 4 and its features, as well as to see what other customers are saying about this product, simply click the link below:
3. Polar M430 GPS Running Watch
Polar M430 GPS Running Watch incorporates state-of-the-art running metrics, advanced GPS and the freedom of optical heart rate technology.
This sports watch is perfect for active individuals. With a wrist-based heart rate monitor incorporated into this sports watch, you no longer need a chest strap. The latest GPS and accelerometer technology will track your speed, distance, and pace. It will also record your steps, distance, calories burned, and sleep.
If you don’t want to miss any call or text message during your workout, you can connect this sports watch to your mobile phone via Bluetooth to see notifications from your mobile phone directly on your screen.
Polar M430 GPS Running Watch includes multiple GPS recording options for extended battery life, that is capable of up to 30 hours of training time.
If you decide upon Polar M430 Running Watch, you are able to track your training and activity, analyze your progress and achieve more with the Polar Flow app. This is the complete fitness and training platform that is available on desktop and mobile. Polar Flow helps you plan and analyze your workouts, follow your long-term progress, find training inspiration and customize your Polar M430 to fit your needs.
Polar M430 GPS Running Watch is available in five different colors so you have plenty of room to choose from.
Take a closer look at what other customers are saying about this product, by clicking the link below:
4. Withings Steel HR Sport Smartwatch
If you are on the market for a durable steel sports watch, Withings Steel Sports Watch might be exactly what you are looking for. The reason why I am saying this is that this sports watch includes everything you need for a productive workout.
Steel HR Sport is a hybrid smartwatch specifically designed for your workout, featuring heart rate monitoring, multi-sport tracking, connected GPS and a Fitness Level assessment based on the maximal oxygen consumption (VO2 Max) estimation.
All of these advanced features are housed in a classic timepiece that goes the distance with water resistance up to 50m, and a durable stainless steel case.
Withings Steel Sports Watch tracks not only your workout activities but it also does your sleep tracking, based on light and deep sleep cycles, interruptions, depth, and regularity. In addition, you will enjoy a silent vibrating alarm.
With Withings Steel Sports Watch you can get notifications – call, text, event, and app notifications from your smartphone.
The charging time is approximately 2 hours to 100% and about 1 hour to 80%. The battery life is Up to 5 days in workout mode and plus 20 additional days in power reserve mode (time and activity tracking only).
If all I have mentioned about Withings Steel Sports Watch is not enough for you to make up a decision, click the link below to see what other customers are saying about this sports watch:
5. Suunto Core Wrist-Top Computer Watch
If you are on the market for a sports watch that offers extended measurement possibilities, Suunto Core Wrist-Top Computer Watch is exactly what you are looking for.
The reason why I am saying this is that this sports watch allows you to track outdoor activities. Suunto Core is a wrist-top computer watch with altimeter, barometer, compass and weather indicator. An altimeter tracks your vertical movement, a barometer tells the trend in air pressure, and a compass points you the way to go.
Suunto core tracks both the weather and the sun for you. The operating interval of temperature is between -20° C to +60° C / -5° F to +140° F.
Weather trend graph and storm alarm along with preset sunrise/sunset times for over 400 locations help you stay safe and plan your activities. Intelligent storm alarm senses drop in air pressure and notify you of approaching storms.
With stylish designs in more than a handful of variations, you are sure to find just the right Suunto core for your style.
If you decide upon Suunto Core Wrist-Top Computer Watch, you are going to benefit from 2 years warranty.
Take a closer look at what other customers are saying about this sports computer watch, by clicking the link below:
6. Fossil Men’s Gen 4 Explorist HR
- This smartwatch is a Classic design and includes all modern technologies. It is powered with Wear OS by Google work with iPhone and Android Phones.
- Multifunctional – So many things that you could do with the help of this smartwatch: receive smartphone notifications and app alerts, manage your calendar, control your music, download third-party apps (your favorite ride-sharing or music apps), and customize your watch face; touchscreen functionality, built-in fitness tracker, microphone, music storage and controls, custom goal and alarm settings, calendar alerts, multiple time zones, weather, LED flashlight, wireless syncing.
- Heart Rate and Activity Tracking using Google Fit – No matter what kind of workout you have chosen for today, from running to yoga (and more), this smartwatch measures heart rate automatically during a workout.
- Google Fit feature gives you smarter health coaching with activity goals based on recommendations from the American Heart Association and the World Health Organization.
- Built-in GPS for distance tracking – With Fossil Men’s Gen 4, you can leave your phone behind. Use untethered GPS to track your run’s distance (and play your stored music) on your watch.
- Swimproof design;
- Built-in Google Assistant – it’s like having your own personal Google, that is always ready to help you; Speed through checkout with your watch using Google Pay;
- Connectivity – This smartwatch is compatible with Android and iOS smartphones, specifically with Android OS 4.4+ (excluding Go edition) or iOS 9.3+. All devices have Bluetooth 4.1 Low Energy and Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n.
- Battery Life – Estimated 24-hour battery life, based on usage plus 2 additional days in low-power mode; includes magnetic USB rapid charger; charge up to 80% in under an hour;
- Doesn’t Include Call Feature. This Fossil Men’s 4 Explorist HR does not have the call feature available, as it does not have a speaker. However, you are able to use the microphone for the quick response feature when paired with an Android phone with an OS of 4.4 or higher.
If you would like to learn more about this Fossil Men’s 4 Explorist HR Smartwatch, click the link below:
7. TicWatch Pro 4G/LTE, Dual Display Smartwatch
- Upgraded Premium Design – TicWatch Pro 4G has a stylish and functional design with knurled stainless-steel bezel. It is Corning Gorilla 3 anti-fingerprint cover glass and water-resistant speaker. US Military Standard 810G certified durability. Lightweight Silicone strap for your maximum comfort.
- Long Battery Life – Dual-layered ALOMED/LCD screens and two display mode options, Smart Mode will get you 2 days battery life, up to 5 days if Auto Switch to Essential Mode (LCD display only) is turned on. Up to 18 hours of battery life on cellular usage.
- Cellular Connectivity for Verizon Phone Plan Users – You can make instant calls and texts, cloud sync notifications, music streaming, remote smart home controls, emergency SOS auto-dial. You are able to activate the 4G/LTE feature via My Verizon app and Verizon website.
- Your Swim-ready Fitness Companion – In case you are a pro, or an amateur swimmer, this smartwatch is waterproof and pool swimming suitable. It also incorporates 6 smart sports modes and has a built-in GPS.
- TicPulse Technology empowers 24hr heart rate monitoring and if your heart rate gets abnormal, the smartwatch will warn you.
- TicMotion Technology proactively detects your motion and tracks running, fast walking and swimming activities.
- Get Connected – Download your favorite apps via Google Play Store and stay in the moment with smart ways to receive notifications and see who’s calling, without pulling out your phone. Get things done on the go with the Google Assistant. Just press and hold the power button or say “Ok Google” to manage daily tasks, plan your day or get answers.
- Pay From your Wrist – Google Pay is the fast, simple way to pay at millions of places, literally anywhere you want. With Google Pay, there’s no need to dig for your cards — you can pay quickly and easily with the smartwatch already on your wrist.
- US Military Standard 810G certified durability. TicWatch Pro 4G is designed to withstand extreme conditions and environments like high and low-temperature resistance, anti-shock, sand and dust-proof, humidity-proof, etc.
- 30-day money-back guarantee for any reason.
- 12-month warranty for quality-related issues.
- Email Handling Works With Gmail Only – So, if you want to read and operate your emails through this smartwatch, please note that it will be working with only Gmail service.
- Compatible Only With Verizon Network. However, this watch can still be connected to your phone via Bluetooth if you’re on a different carrier.
If you want to take a closer look at this TicWatch Pro 4G and learn what other customers are saying about this smartwatch, click the link below:
8. Fitbit Versa Lite Edition Smart Watch
- The Versa Lite Edition includes core fitness and smart features like activity, sleep and heart rate tracking, notifications, and apps
- 4+ day battery life — plus bold color choices and easy one-button design. Fitbit Versa includes all the features of Lite Edition plus music, on-screen workouts, floors climbed and swim lap tracking.
- FitBit App – You can track exercise, set goals, and even analyze your sleep, thus, getting a clearer picture of your health. With FitBit Pay you can make instant, on-the-go payments for your online shopping.
- The Screen Glass is Weak and Could be Easily Damaged. If you decide to buy this FitBit Versa Lite Edition Smart Watch, be sure to wear a screen protector.
If you want to have a closer look at this smartwatch and learn from other customers using this sports watch, simply click the link below:
9. Samsung Galaxy Smartwatch
- Durable. The Galaxy Watch was made to last. It takes on life with military-grade durability, swim-ready water resistance and Corning Gorilla Glass DX+ that prevents the display from getting scratched.
- Make and take calls with an integrated speaker and voice microphone, respond to texts, and access scores, headlines, and playlists.
- Designed For Sportsmen. Galaxy Watch automatically tracks select workouts, monitors heart rate and detects when you switch activities. Get credit for up to 40 workouts, plus GPS capabilities when you go for a run.
- Wireless Charger. Power up your smartwatch with the help of a wireless charger without slowing yourself down.
- US Version – If you are not from the USA, please note that with this Samsung Galaxy Smartwatch you will not be able to use the Samsung Pay feature.
Take a closer look at this smartwatch and see what other customers are saying about it, by clicking the link below:
10. Skagen Men’s 42mm Hagen Connected Black Steel-Mesh Hybrid Smart Watch
- Unique Design. When you look at this Skagen Men’, you will notice that it looks like a normal watch, but when you will try it out, you will see that it acts like a smartwatch. Using Skagen Men’ gets your smartphone notifications, activity tracking, custom goal setting, sleep monitoring, customizable buttons, and automatic time zone updates.
- Doesn’t Require Charging. Charging not required, estimated 6 months battery life based on usage. A gentle buzz lets you know when you receive a smartphone notification: texts, calls, and updates.
- Waterproof. Water-resistant to 100ft (30m).
- Compatible with Android and iOS smartphones, specifically with Android OS 5.0 or higher, iOS 9.0 / iPhone 5 and above.
- Bluetooth Connectivity. The watch is smart-enabled with an improved data transfer of 4.1 Low Energy
- Not Customizable. This is not a touchscreen smartwatch, that is why it is not customizable.
- Heart Rate Monitor Feature is Not Included.
Moreover, this watch is currently on sale on Amazon, so there is even an additional benefit of buying this Garmin Forerunner, i.e., saving more money!
Click the link below if you want to benefit from the current discount price or to learn more about this smartwatch:
When you are on your workout, time is precious. If you are serious about powerlifting, you have to remember that there have to be very short intervals between the sets. That is why using a watch is desirable so you can track your workout activities.
I hope you have enjoyed reading my review on the best sports watches for men. If you have any questions, please leave them below in the comments section. I will be happy to help you out!
My best wishes to you,