Weight lifting belts in gyms are as common as dumbbells, bench press, and aerobic equipment.
This is not a current trend, we can observe them from old black and white photos of some famous bodybuilders during their intensive workouts.
However, it is good to know that it is not necessary to use a weight lifting belt from the moment you step into the gym.
In this post, I will tell you everything you need to know about weight lifting belts for men, when and how to use them and how to choose the best one for yourself.
The Role Of The Weight Lifting Belt
When you lift heavy weights, the lack of stability for your spine can have an undesirable effect.
The theory that comes in favor of wearing the weight lifting belts is simple: with a weight lifting belt on, you stabilize your core and spinal column in the lower back and put more pressure into your inner abdominal area.
This helps to reduce the risk of injury of the lower back and lets you lift more heavyweights.
When To Use A Weight Lifting Belt
If you are just starting out with your workouts, most probably you will not need a weight lifting belt at this stage.
Weight lifting belts are recommended to use only when you lift a maximum weight.
Most studies have suggested that the use of a weight lifting belt is beneficial only for lifting maximum weights (one or two reps per series) and not for the normal series with 5-10 reps.
Generally speaking, a weight lifting belt is needed for lifting weights from 85 kg and more.
Furthermore, you need to wear a weight lifting belt when you do squats, stand-up lifting, and operating weights during deadlifts.
At the same time, there are some exercises that do not foresee the use of a weight lifting belt, these are sit-ups or chin-ups.
Never use the belt for an exercise that involves sitting or stretching. These are situations when a weight lifting belt will do more harm than benefit to you.
What To Pay Attention When Choosing a Weight Lifting Belt
There are several aspects to take into consideration when choosing a weight lifting belt for yourself:
It is important that a weight lifting belt provides a maximum of comfort. To achieve that, choose one that is suede-lined or has a certain amount of foam to help cushion your sides and prevent injuries on your skin.
Choose a weight lifting belt that has between 4 and 6 in width. This is the best width that will add more stability.
First of all, look for the leather material as it is best for the main build. After that, pay attention to the materials used on the closures. Try to avoid such materials as nylon, velcro, plastic or fake leather.
You want your belt to last a long period of time and provide you maximum support, right? Pay attention to the thickness of the material, the strength of the closure and the warranties. You will find weight lifting belts that have long warranties, some of them even lifetime warranties.
Best Weight Lifting Belts For Men
1. Dark Iron Fitness Genuine Leather Pro Weight Lifting Belt
Amazon Customers’ Rating: 4.9 out of 5
- Comfortable and Durable
- High-quality Leather
- The Right Thickness (5mm) and Width (4″)
- Adjustable Non-Slip Fit
- Lifetime Replacement
If you are serious about lifting, you already know that a good weightlifting belt can help you draw more power out of your abs and lower back, while reducing the risk of painful injury. Let’s check out what you will find at this weight lifting belt:
- Made of High-quality Leather Material. This is fully possible with Dark Iron Fitness Weight Lifting Belt as it is made of top-quality cowhide that will not stretch out or tear under pressure. So, you can make your maximum reps without fear to break down your belt and have back injuries.
- Super-Supportive. Because Dark Iron Fitness Weight Lifting Belt is made from genuine buffalo hide leather, it is designed to be soft, supple and flexible. Thus, it eliminates any pain while lifting, and at the same time, it is still super supportive.
- The Size Of The Belt. The Dark Iron Fitness leather weight belt is 4″ wide and 5mm thick. These dimensions allow the belt to fully support your lower back and midsection, giving you the added benefit of pain relief and discomfort while lifting.
- Helps You To Lift Heavier Weights. With Dark Iron Fitness Weight Lifting Belt you are able to lift more weights without issues of breaking. With the right thickness and width, this belt allows extra power, strength, and support in your back and abs.
- Comfortable. If you are looking for a weight lifting belt that delivers comfort, choose the Dark Iron Fitness Weight Lifting belt. With its adjustable non-slip fit, you never have to worry about it coming loose mid-lift, riding up, or digging into your sides or hips. All that means that you can focus on upping your weightlifting potential!
- Free Product Replacement. Dark Iron Fitness is so confident in the quality of the belts, that is ready to send you a new one if the one you have purchased ever fails.
There are already hundreds of customers that are completely happy with Dark Iron Fitness Weight Lifting Belt. Take a closer look at what they are saying about this product, by clicking the link below:
2. Fire Team Fit Weightlifting Belt
Amazon Customers’ Rating: 4.7 out of 5
- Provides the Ability to Perform Multiple Exercises
- Lifetime Warranty
Although leather is considered to be the most durable and high-quality material, not all people like to use it. If you are one of them, you may want to consider Fire Team Fit Weight Lifting Belts. Let’s take a closer look at this weight lifting belt:
- Lightweight. This belt is lightweight and can be easily removed with a pull of the Velcro. Using this belt, you are able to avoid injuries and maximize your exercise performance.
- Provides Maximum Support. If you choose upon Fire Team Fit Weight Lifting Belt, you can work out with confidence, because this belt provides you maximum support and you can benefit from the added stability of this weight belt.
- Suitable For a Wide Range of Exercises. This belt is designed to support your back while providing you the mobility to perform multiple exercises. That means that you are able only body build using this weightlifting belt, but it is also ideal for exercises, such as back squats, power cleans, deadlifts, clean and jerks, overhead squats and much more.
- Adjustable. Unlike a leather belt with a predetermined set of holes, the hook and loop support strap gives the ability to adjust tightness for the desired comfort and support needed for leg and core body movements.
- Lifetime Warranty. Fire Team Fit offers a lifetime warranty for their weight lifting belts. If your weightlifting belt ever breaks or becomes unsafe to use, they will replace it for free, without asking any questions.
If all I have said about Fire Team Fit Weight Lifting Belt is not enough for you to make a decision, take a closer look at what other customers are saying about this weight lifting belt, by clicking the link below:
3. Harbinger Padded Leather Contoured Weightlifting Belt
Amazon Customers’ Rating: 4.4 out of 5
- Genuine Leather
- Inferior Foam Cushioning and a Suede Lining
- Lasting Quality and Durability
If you are on the market for a weight lifting belt that offers an enhanced level of comfort, Harbinger weight lifting belt may be the one that you are looking for. This padded weight lifting belt has an interior foam cushioning and a suede lining that increases in comfort and stability. Let’ see some key features of this weightlifting belt more closely:
- Made of Genuine Leather Material. This weight lifting belt is made from genuine leather with a contoured design to perfectly fit the body and offer support for heavy lifting and strength training, without hindering mobility.
- Perfect Size. Harbinger weight lifting is available in 4-inch and 6-inch sizes. Harbinger 4-inch padded leather weight lifting belt provides core support, protecting the lower back and abdominals during heavy lifting.
- Larger Size Option. If you are of a larger size, you can opt for the Harbinger 6-inch Padded Leather Belt, which provides even more coverage for larger bodies and increased stability.
- Comfortable and Durable. Backed with split leather, these padded leather weightlifting belts combine support with lasting quality and durability.
- Warranty is Not Provided. There is no warranty provided for this Harbinger Padded Leather Contoured Weight Lifting Belt.
If you want to take a closer look at this weight lifting belt, simply click the link below:
4. ProFitness Genuine Leather Workout Belt
Amazon Customers’ Rating: 4.8 out of 5
- High-Quality Leather Material
- Adjustable double prong roller buckle
- Three Colors
- Lifetime Warranty
PROfitness weight lifting belt is made from premium-grade leather that ensures that this workout belt will not stretch, tear or slip while you’re working out, regardless of how much weight you throw up.
This heavy-duty fitness belt includes an adjustable, double prong roller buckle to stay in place while you are bending, lifting, squatting and straining.
Maintaining proper squat and lifting form is essential to not only strength gains, but for reducing injuries. This weightlifting belt helps ensure you sustain balance and stability throughout your sets.
ProFitness is so sure that you are going to love their weight lifting belts, so it offers a lifetime warranty on all their weight lifting belts.
If all that I have mentioned about this premium quality weight lifting belt, you can click the link below, to see what other customers are saying about ProFitness weight lifting belts:
5. RDX Power Lifting Belt
Amazon Customers’ Rating: 4.5 out of 5
- Nubuck Leather
- Advanced Lever Clasp Closure
- Top-notch Suede Finishing for a Non-Slip
- High-Quality Stitching Craft
- Available in two colors
- Complete Money-Back Guarantee
RDX weightlifting belt is manufactured with extremely long-lasting Oil-tanned Nubuck leather material. Even with the addition of the oil, the smoothness of the belt remains intact.
This weight-lifting belt is unmatched and unpretentious leather material that flawlessly aids in crouches, powerlifting, deadlifts, or jerks. The resiliency of the material helps you in your tough workout and preparations.
Another great feature of this RDX powerlifting belt is that it is manufactured using unified lever clasp closure technology to ensure sturdy firmness, balance and offer sufficient waist fastening support and comfort.
The lever clasp is contrived with a robust chrome buckle. Further, it aids in making calm adjustments on your waist. The resilient support will not break like a feeble lever belt pronged system.
RDX Weightlifting lifting belt is strengthened with top-notch suede lining to provide a comfortable grip during your workout sessions. The lining is literally like a cushioned pad that helps push against your lower back to provide you with the maximum level of relief without comprising on the support and fit you require while lifting those heavyweights.
This weight lifting belt is available in two colors: black and brown so you can choose the one that better suits your taste.
RDX weight-lifting belt is armored with rare stitching that augments compactness and suppleness to guarantee it can endure extreme use for the maximum time period. Contrived by a crew of superlative craftsmen who aim to provide the trendy and smart look. The flawlessly constructed needlework skill further confirms the refined exterior of the belt.
RDX offers a complete money-back guarantee, so you can easily return the product for a full refund, in case if you get unsatisfied with it.
Take a closer look at RDX weight lifting belt, by clicking the link below:
6. Steel Sweat Weight Lifting Belt
- Vegetable Tanned Cowhide Leather
- 4″ Width by 10 mm Thickness
- Industrial strength heavy duty stitching
- Stainless steel screw-in rivets
- Single prong roller buckle
- 90 days warranty
Vegetable-tanned leather is one of the unique features of the Steel Sweat Weight Lifting Belt. This natural cowboy method of tanning hides assures a reduced break-in time, so you can benefit from prolonged usage of this belt.
7. Iron Bull Strength Power Lifting Belt
Amazon Customers’ Rating: 4.1 out of 5
- 13mm Thick, Solid Piece Construction.
- 4″ Wide Heavy Duty Suede Leather Material
- Heavy-Duty Steel Lever
- Double Stitching Construction
- Fully Adjustable with Only 2 Screws
Iron Bull Power Lifting Belt is a 13 mm thick and exclusive suede leather material construction.
The 13 mm thickness is not an accidental measure, it is used by the top athletes around the world and has been proven to give the best support and flexibility that a powerlifting belt needs to provide.
The double roller buckle prongs are precision made, custom zinc plated steel and are unmatched in strength and durability and it looks great!
This belt ensures that your back, abs, and entire core are evenly stabilized for extra power and strength, due to the height of the belt of 4″ across its length.
Iron Bull Power Lifting Belt is available in black and red colors.
If you got interested in this weight lifting belt, you can check this product and learn what other customers are saying about it, by clicking the link below:
8. Stoic Power Lifting Belt
Amazon Customers’ Rating: 4.6 out of 5
- High-quality Leather Materials. Stoic Weight Lifting Belt is manufactured from high-quality materials, that are vegetable-tanned, full-grain sole leather. The inner suede has been eliminated in this belt and left edges of this high-end belt raw and non-colored because this expensive leather doesn’t need a cover-up.
- Supportive. It also has strong nylon stitching and ultra-heavy 2 mm thick single prong buckle with a seamless roller. The end result is a belt that lasts and remains supportive for years to come.
- Durable. This Stoic Weight Lifting Belt is best to use for heavy cross-training, powerlifting, weight lifting, bodybuilding. Stoic Weight Lifting belt also uses only a single suede exterior, that increases support and longevity by eliminating nearly 2 mm of suede wrap and instead of using thicker core leather.
- Perfect Size. Stoic Weight Lifting belt is 4 inches wide all the way around and 6 mm thick (with only 1.2 mm of suede). Non-tapered reduces stress on the back from rounding on exercises like the squat and deadlift and overextension on exercises like the clean and jerk, snatch and overhead press by allowing both the abdominal wall and back to firmly brace.
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Stoic is so confident that you will absolutely love this weight lifting belt, so it offers a 100 % satisfaction guarantee.
Hopefully, it will not be your case to return the product, as there are many customers that are completely happy with this weight lifting belt. If you want to see what they are saying, click the link below:
9. Rip Toned Leather Belt
Amazon Customers’ Rating: 4.3 out of 5
- High-Quality Leather Material
- Solid Metal Buckle
- Washable Lifting Belt
- Three Colors
- Backed by a Lifetime No-Hassle Free Replacement Guarantee
- Get 2 Bonuses Upon Purchase
If you are on the market for a weight lifting belt that is recommended by the world’s champions in bodybuilding, Rip Toned Weight Lifting Belt may be the one that you are looking for.
The reason why I am saying this is because Rip Toned Leather Weight Lifting Belt is the only training belt that is endorsed by Kevin Weiss – the World Champion Powerlifter of 2014.
Rip Toned Leather Weight Lifting Belt is perfect for deadlifts, squats, heavy bent rows, push presses and others without sacrificing comfort. It is suitable for both men and women and is available in three different colors: black, red and blue.
This powerlifting belt is the highest quality stainless steel lever buckle.
Rip Toned Leather Weight Lifting Belt is easy to put on or remove during exercise, it is super comfortable and snug-fitting.
If you have injured your back during exercise, Rip Toned Leather Weight Lifting Belt will support and strengthen your lower back shielding the injured area which helps to heal.
If you will decide upon this Rip Toned Leather Weight Lifting Belt, you will enhance and boost your workout performance for more challenging lifts and routines.
Rip Toned Leather Weight Lifting Belt is backed by a lifetime replacement guarantee. If you will not like this genuine leather weight lifting belt, you can easily return it for a full refund or, you can easily replace your belt with another size if you get the wrong one.
If you decide to buy Rip Toned Weight Lifting Belt, you will get 2 free bonuses: 2 wrists wraps and Kevin Weiss Rockin’ Abs Guide and Kevin Weiss Low Carb Diet Guide.
Take a closer look at Rip Toned Weight Lifting Belt and what other customers are saying about it, by clicking the link below:
10. Flexz Fitness Power Lifting and Weightlifting Belt with Lever Buckle
Amazon Customers’ Rating: 4.1 out of 5
- Artificial Leather Material
- Solid Steel
- Heavy Duty Stitching
- Metal Buckle
- Five Different Colors
This Flexz Fitness Weight Lifting Belt is comfortable and easy to fit and release. It works to reduce stress on your back by bracing and stabilizing the spine; the lever helps increase intra-abdominal pressure, which is crucial for the establishment of safe and effective technique.
Flexz Weight Lifting Belt is made from high-quality artificial leather, using solid steel and metal buckle.
11. ARD CHAMPS Weight Power Lifting Leather Belt
Amazon Customers’ Rating: 4.0 out of 5
- Nubuck Leather
- Professional Style
- Advance Lever Action Buckle
With this professional style weight lifting belt, you will make others in the gym turn their necks after you.
ARD CHAMP weight lifting belt is 4” wide and 10 mm thick professional Powerlifting advance lever closure belt. It is manufactured from unique oil-tanned and highly absorbent nubuck leather.
You are able to easily can loosen this ARD CHAMP weight lifting belt in less than a second with a quick flick of the advance lever.
If you decide upon this stylish weight lifting belt, you will enjoy it over and over again, as it conforms to your body shape over time and forever stays firmly supportive.
ARD CHAMP uses a new concept in genuine leather that is created by a unique additional tanning process. The oil forms soaps on the fibers to produce highly absorbent leather that will shine as it dries.
Advance lever-action buckle closure ensures that you can easily get it to the same tightness each lift.
The edges of the belt are finished with refinement but not rounded because rounding of the edges lessens the effective width.
- Customers’ Satisfaction Guarantee is Not Provided.
If you want to take a closer look at ARD CHAMP Weight Lifting Belt and learn from other customers’ experience with this product, click the link below:
12. COBRA GRIPS Pro Weight Power Lifting Belt
Amazon Customers’ Rating: 4.7 out of 5
- Genuine Cowhide Leather
- Unique Design
- Compact and Lightweight
- Provides Maximum Support
- Three Colors
Grip Power Pads is well-known in the fitness industry for gym products that make it effortless to get a good grip.
This Pro Weight Lifting belt is made with genuine cowhide leather that will not tear or wear out.
With this Pro Weight Lifting Belt from Grip Power Pads, you will get maximum support while you lift. It will help you to stabilize your core, abs, and back. This weight lifting belt fits snugly while giving you all of the mobility that you need.
If you’re looking for a lightweight belt that will stay in place while you’re working out, you have found it here. This weightlifting belt has extra adjustment holes to give you just the right fit.
Cobra Grips Pro Weight Power Lifting Belt is compact and lightweight at just 1.5 lbs, 4″ across its length and 5 mm thickness which gives you best back support.
Cobra Grips Pro Weight Power Lifting Belt is available in three colors (black, brown and red) and in a variety of sizes so that anyone is able to find a perfect weight lifting belt.
There is no customer satisfaction guarantee offered for this Cobra Grips Pro Weight Power Lifting Belt.
If you want to see what customers that already have tried this awesome weight lifting belt are saying about it, click the link below:
When you feel you are on that level that lets you lift super heavyweights, you have to take the necessary steps in order to protect yourself from back injuries.
When you are on the market for a weight lifting belt, don’t just take any belt. Choose premium quality as this will give you the support and protection you need while lifting heavyweights.
Wearing a weight lifting belt will help you perform heavy lifts that you thought you was never capable of.
I hope you have enjoyed reading my article on the best weight lifting belts and now you are well prepared to make an informed decision.
Maybe you have an experience of wearing weight lifting belts in the gym? Please, share it in the comments section! I will be more than happy to hear from you!
My best wishes to you,