Creatine supplements are one of the most popular supplements that many bodybuilders have been seeking and using all over the world, for many years now.
They are well-known for their beneficial effects in terms of improving body resistance during training, and as a result, influencing the increase in muscle mass and muscle volume.
This post will offer you some insight into creatine monohydrate in bodybuilding, why it is so popular among bodybuilders, when and how to take it, and most importantly, what is the best creatine supplement out there.
What is Creatine?
Creatine, in simple words, is an organic acid that is found naturally in the body of vertebrates, in the liver, kidney, and pancreas. It is further transformed into our body in creatine phosphate and stored in the muscle, where it is used for energy.
An organism is capable to produce some quantities of creatine by itself or, can get them from some foods. However, creatine levels in food sources may sometimes be insufficient, especially as a result of demands during the physical training process.
Creatine is found in its natural form, in the largest quantity in meat, such as hunting (rabbit, bison, wild boar) but also in meat such as beef or pig. The rest of meat, such as chicken or turkey, having lower amounts. Note that by choosing higher-quality meat, its creatine content will be higher.
Although creatine from supplements on the market is produced synthetically, it keeps the creatine characteristics that are produced by the human body.
Creatine Monohydrate – Search For the Most Effective One
There are different types of creatine. I will not go into all of them, if you want to make overall research, you may easily find all the types of creatine over the internet. For the purpose of bodybuilding, it is sufficient to consider creatine monohydrate.
Creatine monohydrate is considered to be the most efficient one. The characteristics of this type of creatine are purity and efficacy. Creatine purity is an important feature because the more creatine is pure, the more effective it is.
Creatine monohydrate supplements are products that contain a very pure form of creatine and are usually administered before or after training and / or with other supplements such as protein powders.
Creatine monohydrate is produced in the form of powder, that you need to mix with water or other liquids that you prefer. These could be juices, tea or milk. The other form is tablets which may be more easy to use as you don’t need anything additionally in order to be ready to take your dose of creatine.
Benefits of Creatine Monohydrate
There are several benefits that you will experience when taking Creatine monohydrate. Among these are:
- Increase in muscle strength
- Muscles volumisation
- Increased anaerobic muscular endurance
- Hurries your body recovery after training sessions
These effects have been discovered in the 1970s by Russian researchers and have led to the placement of creatine among the most consumed nutritional supplements in the world.
Having a healthy diet along with creatine supplementation, you will always be pleased with the muscles having the energy reserves needed to perform in the gym or other anaerobic physical activities. The result is longer workouts with greater muscular energy stores.
Creatine Capsules Vs. Powder. Which one is Better?
Answer to this question is really up to you because there is literally no difference between these two forms.
It may depend on your dose. One tablespoon of creatine powder is equal to 5 grams. The amount of creatine in a capsule depends on the manufacturer and may range from 0.7 to 2.5 grams per capsule.
As a powder, it can be more rapidly absorbed, compared to the capsule which should be first broken down by stomach acid and only then undergo the same digestive process as the powder.
This is also upon your convenience. It is obvious that capsules are more portable and accessible and therefore, simpler. All you need to take it is a cup of liquid and that is it. While powder form is more pretentious as you have to be able to mix and shake it.
What Is The Minimum Age For Taking Creatine?
It’s recommended that you are at least 18 years of age to take creatine supplements. Research into creatine supplementation has focused almost exclusively on adults aged between 18 and 35.
Research showing the long-term effects of creatine on growing children and adolescents is lacking. Due to unknown risks, avoid taking creatine if you are under 18.
How to Administrate Creatine Monohydrate?
The administration of this supplement is daily unless you decide to stop for some reason for your training.
You may find some information about the recommended daily dose of creatine for athletes is up to 20g / day in the loading phase, in 4 servings.
The loading phase is recommended in order to speed up the time that these creatine deposits in the muscles are created. Somewhere between 7 and 14 days is enough to allocate for the loading period.
After this period, the general level can be maintained by administering 3g-6g every day, in 2-3 portions, even during the break-days. A cycle of creatine supplement intake should last for at least 3 months.
Of course, these values vary according to the already existing muscle mass and the amount of meat (the creatine-rich source) consumed daily.
Please, be aware that loading phases might be a bit taxing on your organs. Personally, I would just take 1 scoop per day and take it constantly every day.
Thus, you will achieve the same level of ATP in the muscles after 2-3 weeks, without putting your liver and kidneys through the wringer.
Also, loading phases are quite inefficient, your body will just excrete a majority of the product and it is a kind of a waste.
While these doses are being respected, the risk of adverse effects is very low.
Moisturizing is very good for our bodies in general, but especially when you are taking creatine, pay closer attention to drinking a lot of water.
Sometimes, you may face a small difficulty with the dissolution of creatine when mixing it with liquids.
It may seem to you that it is not totally dissolved in water or whatever your choice is in terms of liquids.
Tip: My recommendation is to mix all the ingredients in a blender for better mixing and dissolution of creatine.
If you actually don’t have a blender (still I recommend you purchase one because you may need it more often as you move forward with your training), chose micronized creatine, it dissolves more easily.
Also, pay attention to the temperature of the liquid. It should be not so cold and not very hot, of course 🙂 Try to keep it a little bit warm at around 18-20 degrees.
Why Do I Have To Take Creatine If My Protein Powder Already Contains It?
Some of the protein powders contain creatine monohydrate. So what is the point to take creatine additionally, if you find it already on the label of your protein?
The fact is that protein powders contain too little amount of creatine, usually not more than 3 grams per serving. I think this is more about the marketing strategy of protein powders manufacturers to increase sales.
If you want to practice powerlifting which involves the natural necessity to increase your body resistance, you are going to need more than 3 grams of creatine per serving.
Even if your protein powder gives you this amount of creatine, my suggestion is to take creatine monohydrate additionally to improve your training performing and results.
So, what is the best creatine monohydrate powder over there? Let’s dig deeper and find out!
1. CREAPURE German Creatine by Athletic Extreme
- German Quality. You know, Germans are famous for producing the highest-quality products in the world.
- The Purest Creatine in the World. Creapure is a German Creatine that is made in Germany and is considered to be the purest creatine in the world (99.8%).
- Quality Control and Certification. German Creatine is made with 100% Creapure, manufactured in Germany under strict GMP conditions, and verified for purity using High-Pressure Liquid Chromatography.
- Good Price. German Creatine is for athletes who take creatine and want to pay slightly more to ensure that their creatine is free from harmful contaminants.
- Different Size of Package. It comes in the pack of 300 g., 600 g., as well as in 1000 g packs that sum up with 60, 120 and 200 servings, respectively.
- Convenient Serving. Each serving of this German Creatine provides you with 5 grams of the purest creatine monohydrate in the world. Also, the scoop to add up 1 serving is included for your convenience.
If you got interested in this German Creatine, take a closer look at Creapure German Creatine and see what other customers are saying about this product, by clicking the link below:
2. Naked Creatine Monohydrate Powder from Naked Nutrition
- High-Quality Product. Naked Creatine Monohydrate is the highest grade, fastest dissolving, and rapidly absorbed creatine monohydrate available.
- One Ingredient Only. It contains only one ingredient – Pure Creatine Monohydrate. The opposite, it doesn’t contain artificial sweeteners, flavors or colors. This product is GMO-free, soy-free, gluten-free and dairy-free.
- Convenient Serving. Each serving of Naked Creatine Monohydrate delivers 5 grams of Monohydrate Creatine per Serving.
- Long-lasting Consumption. One single pack of Naked Creatine is whole 1 kg and it will bring you 200 servings!
- Pure Product. Naked Nutrition provides the purest supplements. This brand is committed to helping you reach your physical goals by providing clean alternatives to supplement your health.
If you are still unsure whether this product is good for you or no, click the link below and see what other customers are saying about it:
3. MuscleTech Platinum Creatine Monohydrate Powder
- Clinically Researched. Platinum 100% Creatine provides your muscles with the most clinically researched form of micronized creatine available. In one clinical study, subjects using the dose of creatine found in one max serving of Platinum 100% Creatine gained 6 lbs. of muscle in 6 weeks. And in a separate study, test subjects increased their bench press strength by 18.6% in just 10 days!
- Take Before or After Workout. On workout days, science has shown that taking it before and after your workout both deliver results. Try mixing it with your post-workout shake. On non-workout days, take it anytime during the day.
- Dissolves Easily. This MuscleTech Platinum Creatine Monohydrate Powder gives you 5 grams of pure creatine per serving. It is ultra-pure micronized so it dissolves instantly and it is tasteless.
- No Artificial Additives. This product contains no fillers, no added sugars – just best-quality, pure creatine powder. Find out what other customers are saying about this product, simply click below:
4. Six Star Pro Nutrition Creatine X3 Powder
The new Six Star Creatine X3 is from the makers of MuscleTech, so you know it’s a premium formula you can trust.
- 30% More Creatine in One Serving. This product is great if you are looking for an increased amount of creatine. It provides you with 8 grams of creatine monohydrate, which is 30% more creatine than other creatine products. Plus, you get 2.5 grams of BCAA amino acids.
- Quality Control and Third-Party Certification. Creatine X3 Powder is the third-party tested and verified and is made in the USA.
- Offers More Strenght. Research studies have shown that the use of Creatine X3 Powder leads to gain 18.6% more strength.
- The Product Contains Some Additives. The only thing that might warn you is that it contains artificial flavors and sucralose.
If you want to see what other customers are thinking about this product, click the link below:
5. MusclePharm Essentials Micronized Creatine
- Convenient Serving. This Essential Micronized Creatine Powder from MusclePharm gives you 5 grams of pure creatine per serving.
- One Ingredient Only. The product has only one ingredient – creatine monohydrate, that’s it! You will not find additives or artificial ingredients in it.
- Unflavored Taste. It is unflavored so you can be sure you will not experience any weird taste with this product.
- Third-party Certification. Essential Micronized Creatine Powder has been tested and verified by Informed-Choice Project so you can be sure it is 100% safe to you.
- Money-back Guarantee Is Provided. In case you find yourself unsatisfied with this product, you can benefit from a 100 % money-back guarantee. Although, this is unlikely to happen because there are many customers that are completely satisfied with this product. To see what they are saying, click the link below:
6. Creapure Creatine Monohydrate Powder by Muscle Feast
- Premium Quality. Creapure Creatine Monohydrate Powder is made by Muscle Feast which is a family-owned business. This is another premium product made with the purest creatine in the world – Creapure creatine.
- One Ingredient Only. The product has only one ingredient – creatine monohydrate, that’s it! You will not find additives or artificial ingredients in it.
- Convenient Serving. Creapure Creatine Monohydrate Powder brings you 5,4 grams of pure creatine.
- Quality Certification. It is ranked the highest purity on Labdoor and it is manufactured in the USA.
If you want to see what other customers are saying about this particular powder, click the link below:
7. Nutricost Creatine Monohydrate
- High-quality Product. Nutricost’s Flavored Creatine Monohydrate offers a convenient way to consume good tasting, high-quality creatine monohydrate.
- Made in the USA. Each scoop contains 5G of micronized creatine monohydrate. Nutricost’s Creatine Monohydrate is Non-GMO, Gluten-Free and proudly made in the USA.
- Long-lasting Consumption. One bottle of Nutricost Creatine Monohydrate will give you approximately 100 servings.
There are plenty of customers that are completely happy with this product. If you want to see what their impressions are, simply click the link below :
8. Creatine Monohydrate Powder Micronized by BulkSupplements
- Micronized Product. Creatine Monohydrate Powder from BulkSupplements is micronized so you can have a better experience when mixing it. This product brings only 2,5 grams per serving, so you will have to take two spoons at once time.
- Long-lasting Consumption. One pack of this product is intended to provide 400 servings.
- One Ingredient Only. Creatine Monohydrate Powder is only one ingredient creatine. It is free of sugar, soy, dairy, yeast, gluten or chemical additives.
- Originated from China. Although this product is originated from China, it has a higher rating on Amazon. May be products made in China shouldn’t be considered of low quality anymore? Especially, as China nowadays is the largest economy in the world!
If you want to learn from many other people’s experience who is already using this product, simply click the link below:
9. Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine Monohydrate Powder
- Made with CreaPure Creatine. Optimum Nutrition’s Creatine Monohydrate Powder is made with CreaPure Creatine.
- Long-lasting Serving. One bottle of this product will give you 114 servings. Each serving brings you 5 grams of the purest creatine monohydrate in the world.
Tip: Use Optimum Nutrition’s Creatine Monohydrate Powder post-workout for optimum results.
- Different Package Size. Optimum’s Micronized Creatine Monohydrate is available in sizes ranging from 150 to 2000 Grams. There is one to fit your needs and budget.
There are hundreds of customers 100% satisfied with this amazing product. To see what they are saying about their experience in using Optimum Nutrition’s Creatine Monohydrate, just click the link below:
10. Jarrow Formulas Creatine Monohydrate Powder
- One Ingredient Only. This is another amazing product made with CreaPure Creatine. I know you are going to love it because it contains only one ingredient – CreaPure Creatine Monohydrate.
- No Additives. You are not going to find any artificial additives in this product, only the purest creatine in the world!
- Quality Control and Certification. The purity of this product is assured by HPLC. It is also vegan-friendly and gluten-free.
- A Higher Amount of Creatine per Serving. Creatine Monohydrate from Jarrow Formulas delivers a higher amount of creatine – 6 grams per serving. Each bottle of this great product will offer you 100 servings!
- Different Package Size. Jarrow Formulas have created three sizes of 325 grams, 600 grams, and 1 kg, so you can easily pick up one for yourself according to your budget and workout plan.
If what I have said is still not enough for you, learn more about Creatine Monohydrate by Jarrow Formulas by clicking the link below:
The Bottom Line
Saturating your muscles with creatine allows you to train harder, so you can build impressive size and strength.
I hope this information was useful to you and now you know better what is the best creatine supplement.
If you have any questions about this, please feel free to write them down in the comments section below.
Maybe you have already used creatine supplements? Please, share your own experience! I will be happy to hear from you!
My best wishes to you,